In the last few decades, dental implants have become the standard of care for patients that want to permanently replace missing or damaged teeth. Because of their 95% success rate, patients often select dental implants. This option is also easy to care for and looks just like a natural tooth. A few short visits with Dr. Kirsch can restore a beautiful smile and help you regain your confidence. However, there are a few habits that can interfere with your chance of dental implant success. Continue reading to discover some important ways that you can protect your dental implant investment and ensure that your gorgeous new smile lasts for many years to come.
Here are eight easy steps you can take to increase your chances of dental implant success:
1) Reduce alcohol intake: Hydrated oral tissues heal better and faster. Alcohol can dehydrate oral tissues, interfere with your body’s ability to heal, and increase your chances of oral health problems. If you want the best chance of your implants healing properly, you should avoid alcohol until your dental implants have completely healed.
2) Stop tobacco use: Much like alcohol consumption, use of tobacco can dehydrate oral tissues, interfere with healing, and increase your chances of oral diseases and cancers. Studies have also shown that smoking creates a long term danger to dental implant patients because it can increase the chances of periodontal disease and dental implant failure.
3) Follow your doctor’s orders: This tip is particularly important after your dental implant procedure since your implant site needs the chance to heal properly. Once the procedure is complete, your doctor will send you home with a complete list of aftercare instructions so that you won’t have to guess or remember what you need to do after your implants have been placed.
4) Brush, floss, and see your dentist regularly: Dental hygiene is extremely important to maintaining a healthy smile. A clean mouth will help implant fixtures heal better and faster. Aim for brushing after each meal and flossing at least once a day. Patients should also see their dentist for regular cleanings and inspections of the implant site.
5) Reduce sugar: Consuming sugar can change the ph balance in your mouth, increasing plaque in your mouth, and increasing your chances of cavity formation. And brushing doesn’t always help prevent this issue. The best way to keep your teeth and smile healthy is to avoid sugar all together.
6) Avoid eating very hard foods: Hard foods can crack, loosen, or damage natural teeth and dental implants alike. Avoid hard candies, very hard breads, and other foods that could potentially damage your teeth.
7) Choose a well-balanced diet: A balanced diet helps keep teeth and gums strong and healthy. It also helps the body stay strong so that it can fight off infection and heal faster.
8) Avoid chewing on the dental implant site until it is fully healed: Avoid chewing on your implant site, keep the implant site clean and inspect the area regularly to ensure that your implant fixtures heal completely.
9) Take all your medications as prescribed until they are finished: It may be tempting to stop taking prescribed medications as soon as you feel better or no longer feel pain. Avoid this temptation and take all medications as prescribed until they are completely gone.
10) Inspect your implant site regularly for abnormalities: This recommendation is also important since prompt reporting to your doctor can often prevent problems like infection and dental implant failure. As with many other things, it is better to be safe than sorry!
Here at Heartland Endodontics & Periodontics, our amazing staff would love to help you repair your unattractive, missing or damaged teeth with wonderful dental implants. In just a few short office visits, patients can regain oral health and restore a beautiful smile. If you live in the Sebring, FL area, don’t wait to get that gorgeous smile you have always dreamed of. Call us today or check out the rest of our specially created dental implants infosite for more information about the dental implants process or your financing options.
Dr. Michael Kirsch
4660 Lakeview Drive
Monday: 8:30AM – 5PM
Tuesday: 8:30AM – 5PM
Wednesday: 8:30AM – 5PM
Thursday: 8:30AM – 5PM
Friday: 8:30AM – 5PM